About the blogger!

My photo
Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom
My name is BinBag, a nickname given to me for reasons that may be explained in future blogs! I'm a Stockport County supporter of 20 years and a general football lover of all standards......Insert own joke here......

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Captains, Crunches and Capello


A few footballing gusts of wind have blown my frock up this weekend, and they’re probably the most obvious that you can think of.  If you’re anything close to football then you wouldn’t have gone through the whole weekend without having a tweet, text or IM about John Evans’ ‘horror tackle’!  Unless of course you’re an actual football goer that partakes in the age old tradition of ale consumption early doors, and doesn’t stop until last orders Sunday night!

So this horror tackle then……was it?  Erm….not for me – not a chance.  For me it just looked like to committed players going in for a 50/50 challenge – when I eventually saw it.  Because on Saturday afternoon whilst vegetating to Soccer Saturday and listening to my very own team succumb to yet another defeat, the tweets started to flow in of a horror tackle at Old Trafford.  I thought it must be justified, because red cards aren’t handed out at Old Trafford (to the home team) unless it’s really bad and the player 100% deserved this level of punishment.  Maybe that’s why it was blown out of all proportion, for a time at least, because of the OT factor, the game wasn’t readily available on tv – and that the pundits on the panels seemingly have something against Manchester United.  Just my opinion of course, not that I’m bothered!  Young Holden is left with 6 months on the sidelines, Evans joins his boss out of action and we all scoot back to our lower league football wondering what all the fuss is about.  Challenges like this are seen week in week out from the top to bottom leagues.

The other main story from the weekend has to be the England captaincy - and this stories’ ability to split the country right down the middle.  John Terry has it back from Rio Ferdinand when in reality should any of them have it?  Should Capello even be in charge?  I personally think it’s time we got shut of the oldies in the camp and brought some new blood in - what’s wrong with slapping Gary Cahill in the centre of the park with Dawson and seeing how they get on?  For a world class defender John Terry makes too many positional mistakes when the ball is in his vicinity, especially judging the bounce and anticipating the error.  We have a big game on Saturday against Wales, and there won’t be a better time to push some new blood in and give some debuts.  It’s nice to see Jarvis get a shout - and hopefully Andy Carroll will start.

As for the managerial position.....................Harry Redknapp all the way for me.  Even Ben Shepard agrees!

This is only my second blog - let me know how you think I’m doing by leaving some comments.


1 comment:

  1. Good post Russ, I'm sick of manure not being punished though.

    You only have to look at the Rooney - Wigan situation! what's that about?

    Ok lets say Turnbull does that to a Southend player on saturday its a red card all day long!

    We all know manure get the benefit of the doubt every game.

    And this isn't a rant about Utd im just using it as an example, you see anyone else do that and it's a straight red.

    It just doesnt make sense to me Russ.

    When we (Stockport) played Colchester a few seasons back and one of their defenders came right into the back of Mcneil which I hear was classed as assault.

    Why are the bigger clubs favoured? is it pressure the officials face? because for me its killing the game.

    As for England, you are spot on! Harry Redknapp to be next England Boss.

    Top blog mate, im looking forward to your blogs on Fansfootballarea.com.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete