About the blogger!

My photo
Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom
My name is BinBag, a nickname given to me for reasons that may be explained in future blogs! I'm a Stockport County supporter of 20 years and a general football lover of all standards......Insert own joke here......

Wednesday 11 May 2011

How to lose Twitter followers and alienate people!


It was just a normal Sunday until the Manchester United players, fans and the whole United fraternity decided that they didn’t need another point and celebrated a title win that wasn’t mathematically secure, albeit in the bag, at the same time showing a huge block of disrespect to their final two opponents of the season - and almost dismissing them as competitive matches.  Maybe it’s my proximity to the club and it’s fans that had me riled post Super Sunday - to the point where I felt the need to tweet a rather less than flattering few words on the subject. 


This didn’t go down well.  My Twitter account is also linked to my Facebook account which only added to joviality - as a 36 comment debate ensued.

I tried to get my point across to those Utd fans that dug in, that I’m not one of these ‘anyone but United’ or a ‘bitter’ fan - but that I am in fact a lover of football the world over.  I can sit there and watch any kind of football, understand it, the implications of it and more importantly the effect it can have on a town or city.  I must admit that there were a couple of reds that did they say they knew it wasn’t over, and wouldn’t be singing until the fat lady did. 

As my Facebook friends spoke with their written words, my Twitter followers spoke with their feet and I quickly lost 4, yes 4, red followers.  To say that I couldn’t cope was an overstatement!  And even today in work I was accused of being a ‘bitter blue’.  Now if I’d known my tweet was going to cause this much commotion I’d have done it a lot sooner, but you see, these moments don’t come very often.  It’s not every day that an action by any of the two Manchester clubs or a statement by one of its ‘fans’ annoys you.

A point to this particular blog is that for years I have taken a verbal beating from fans of all the clubs and given as much back - it’s what you as a football supporter expect, enjoy and revel in.  I almost love it when a fellow supporter says ‘What do you know? you’re only a Stockport fan?’  The truth is that as a proper football fan I had the foresight to see that although the Premiership title may be in the bag for Utd, a little respect for your next opponents as professional footballers wouldn’t go a miss - thus adding fuel to the already eternal flaming unshakeable arrogant tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment